As we read this newsletter we wait eagerly for 6pm this Friday when a number of restrictions will ease across Qld. What this means for Mareeba SS starting next week, 7th March:
- Staff, students & families will no longer have to wear masks unless they choose to do so
- Parades will return to face-to-face with Years 3-6 parade scheduled for Monday 9am and Prep–2 parade scheduled for Friday 9am with families invited to attend as long as they are well
- All parents/carers can be back on site for all Year levels
- Visitors and volunteers can return to schools but must be double vaccinated to do so (this includes parent helpers in the classroom, uniform shop or tuckshop)
- School events can return including excursions, camps and day trips
Safety of our staff, students and families is paramount at Mareeba SS and as such, we ask that family members do not enter school grounds if they are unwell or COVID positive. Each Friday I will email families to inform them of the number of positive COVID cases recorded at Mareeba SS for that week. As written in my first letter sent last Friday, families are encouraged to visit the frequently asked questions page and the Qld Health website for further information. Families are reminded to inform the school if their child tests positive to COVID by calling 40928100.
Again this year, the Mareeba State School Auslan Signing Choir has been accepted to participate in the 2022 Creative-Generation – State Schools Onstage performance held in Brisbane in July. Our students have already begun preparations for the performance and are working under the guidance of Ms Hurst, Mrs Tilse, Mrs Carroll and Miss Susi with fundraising and rehearsals to begin soon.
Mareeba SS is widely recognised for our Inclusive approach to education, ensuring that every day every child is learning and achieving. This year, the staff at Mareeba SS are working towards embedding our Mareeba SS definition of Inclusion: 'At Mareeba SS, Inclusion is acknowledging, respecting and supporting our diverse school community to grow and succeed'. This year each of our classrooms have our definition displayed and staff are regularly reminded students of this and the associated behaviours as developed through consultation with staff, students and the PEGs (Parent Engagement) group.
- Calm classrooms & learning environments
- Being aware of cultures
- It takes a village to raise a child
- Part of a team
- Positive interactions
- Respectful conversations
- Points of view / perspective being shared
- Positive relationships
Just a reminder to check out my 2021 weekly SIZZLING SPOTLIGHTS found on the website. They provide some additional information about the great opportunities available for our students. 2022 sizzling spotlights will start again in week 7.
Don't forget our P & C AGM for 2022 will be on Tuesday 15th March at 5:00pm in the staffroom. Everyone is most welcome.
Finally, congratulations to our front office ladies Carmel M and Carmel A who have both welcomed baby girls this month. Carmel M welcomed baby Elsie on February 1st whilst Carmel A welcomed baby Quinn on February 24th. We look forward to baby visits soon!