Welcome back to term 2. This term we have many exciting learning opportunities for students to engage with.
- Selected students in years 3, 4 and 5 will be invited to attended a Forensic Science Workshop where they will engage in hands on learning. Invitations have been placed in teacher's pigeon holes today.
- Students will also be attending excursions that are aligned with their curriculum. Year 1 students have had a visit from the Zoo to You presenters; Year 2 embark on a bus tour of Mareeba on Wednesday morning to visit significant sites in our town; Prep students will have the opportunity to undertake an excursion to Kuranda at the end of this term; Year 3 students have had an excursion to the pool to support their English unit; Year 4 students will be walking along the Barron River and the Bicentennial Lakes to develop their senses of nature to support their poetry writing.
- Reading Café has started for 2022 with a bang! It will run every Tuesday and Thursday morning 8:30am – 8:55am in the library. Students receive a milo every time they attend and for every 10th visit they received a cupcake. Volunteers are always welcome.
- Year 3 and Year 5 students will participate in NAPLAN Online over the next two weeks. If your child is in year 3 or year 5 making sure they have a good breakfast and arrive at school on time will assist their NAPLAN preparation.
- 'A Round of Maths Destruction' will be held in week 10. This is a competition based on number facts that students can nominate for. Nominations close Friday, May 27th at 3pm. Medallions will be awarded for first, second and third place getters in each year level from Year 1 – Year 6.
- Year 6 High Tea – this will be held on Friday, 27th May from 11am – 12noon in the library. 50 Year 6 students have purchased tickets to attend this event. All monies raised will be donated to the Queensland Cancer Council. A huge thank you to the Mareeba State School P & C Association for their continued support of this event.
Here is a quick overview of the English units that students will be studying in Term 2:
Prep – Wombat Stew – identify characters and events in the story, explain what they liked or disliked about this story and create a description of a character from the story
Year 1 – Write an information report about an Australian animal using facts and present this to their peers
Year 2 – Create and present an innovation of a known poem
Year 3 – Examining ways persuasive language features are used to influence texts
Year 4 – Interpret and evaluate a humorous poem
Year 5 – Write a persuasive text for a magazine
Year 6 – Write an autobiography outlining significant events in their life.
A more detailed overview of what your child will be learning in Term 2 for all other Learning Areas has been sent home with your child through the 'Curriculum at Home' flyers.
Valerie Dayes (HODC Prep – 2) Nadine Apps (HODC 3 – 6)