Wow! What a wonderful fortnight we have had! This fortnight has showcased the many and varied opportunities students have to engage in a variety of experiences at our school.
- Forensic Science workshop for our budding scientists
- Cancer Council Year 6 High Tea. Click here to read more in my Sizzling
- The amazing Planetarium visit for our lucky Year 5s where students were treated to an outer space experience that from all accounts was 'out of this world!'
- A hands-on Fire Safety Education program experience for our Year 1 students (how incredibly lucky are we to have our very own firefighter on staff?!)
- The opportunity for our Peninsula Cross Country competitors to participate in the Peninsula Cross Country Championships in Cairns. Special congratulations to Lene Mukadi who placed 5th for her age group, Leksi Mukadi who placed 8th for her age group and Colin Walsh who placed 9th for his age group. Well done on your fantastic effort and all the best for State Championships.
From March 27 to June 3, staff and students at our school engaged in a variety of National Reconciliation activities, promoting the theme for 2021 "More than a word. Reconciliation takes action". These included lunchtime activities in the library where students participated in scratch art, rock painting and reconciliation
colouring-in activities of which are now on display in our library. Our teachers also took the opportunity to use a variety of resources to build students knowledge and understanding of Reconciliation and our students made a video 'What does Reconciliation mean to me'. Check it out on our Facebook page.
New to Mareeba SS this year is our Student Support HUB, offering a range of student support programs that assist in guaranteeing our mantra 'everyday, in every classroom, every child is learning and achieving'. Our HUB is located centrally within our school and offers a multitude of programs and supports. Click here
to read more in my Sizzling Spotlight. A central part of our HUB is promoting high student expectations. For the remainder of Term 3 we will continue to focus on 'Hands Off, Feet Off'
and 'Good Manners, Good Choices'.
For more information on our expectations, click here
to read this fortnight's PBL and Pause Update. You can also check out my Sizzling Spotlight on expectations here
Don't forget to save the date for the Mareeba SS Family Country Fair on Friday 6th August. Auditions for our student Talent Quest are underway, with a massive thank you to Mr Black and Ms Nastasi for coordinating our auditions. Over the next few weeks we will be seeking support for our Fair, starting with donations to our bottle stall. We are collecting bottles of all shapes and sizes (clean with the label removed), either filled or unfilled. We are also accepting donations of goodies without a bottle (e.g. lollies, balloons, glow sticks, toy cars). Donations can be handed in to Prep C, and when a donation is made, the student will receive a ticket to go into the draw to win a Tuckshop voucher! For more information and to keep up to date with our Country Fair, check out our Facebook page.
- Hannah Simpson, Principal